Ten-year old Gerry, in Corfu, with faithful companion, Roger
My Family and Other Animals – Book Club Discussion
· What were the aspects of this book that appealed to you most?
· Which appealed to you least?
· The Durrells are quite a bunch of characters – did you have any favorites?
· Among the non-Durrells, which of their friends, neighbors and acquaintances did you find most interesting?
· Gerald Durrell infuses so much personality in his observations on animal character and behavior. Did any animal make an impression on you?
· Corfu, Greece is the setting. What images did you get of the place?
Language and Literary Elements:
· Did you find any facet of Durrell’s style particularly striking?
· What would you comment on this book as a work of…
2. Natural History
· Why do you think Durrell wrote this book? What was he trying to say?
· Who is the real head of the Durrell household – Larry or Mother?
· Reading this book, would you say that the family that laughs together stays together? If that is so, what does it say about families that cry together? What binds a family closer; is it the laughter or the tears?